In the year 1509, Afonso de Albuquerque was appointed the second governor of the Portuguese possessions in the East. A new fleet under Marshal Fernão Coutinho arrived with specific instructions to destroy the power of Zamorin of Calicut.
Who is the 2nd Governor of India?
Governor-General of India
|Viceroy and Governor-General of India|
|First holder||Warren Hastings|
|Final holder||Lord Mountbatten (February 1947 – August 1947 as Viceroy of India) Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari (1948–1950 as Governor-general of Dominion of India)|
|Abolished||26 January 1950|
|Succession||President of India|
Who was the best Viceroy of India?
Top 15 British Viceroys of India
- Viceroy # 1. Lord Canning as First Viceroy, (1858-62):
- Viceroy # 2. Lord Elgin (1862-63):
- Viceroy # 3. Sir John Lawrence, (1864-69):
- Viceroy # 4. Lord Mayo, (1869-72):
- Viceroy # 5. Lord Northbrook, (1872-76):
- Viceroy # 6. Lord Lytton, (1876-80):
- Viceroy # 7. …
- Viceroy # 8.
What attracted the Portuguese to India?
In India, Portugal established her trading settlements at Cochin, Goa, Diu, and Daman. From the beginning, the Portuguese combined the use of force with trade and they were helped by the superiority of their armed ships which enabled them to dominate the seas.