The Indian Army fought against the German Empire in East Africa and also on the Western Front. More than 13 lakh Indian soldiers served during World War I fighting for the Britishers. They served in places as diverse as France and Belgium, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Gallipoli, Palestine and Sinai.
How did WWI affect India?
The war years were difficult ones for Indians on the home front whose lives were negatively impacted by massive recruitment efforts, high taxes and a sharp rise in prices. … The war had drained India of troops and at one point a mere 15,000 soldiers were physically present in the subcontinent.
Who has the largest army in World war 1?
|Countries in First World War||Standing Armies & Reserves in August 1914||Mobilised Forces in 1914-18|
What is the bloodiest battle in history?
Deadliest Battles In Human History
- Operation Barbarossa, 1941 (1.4 million casualties)
- Taking of Berlin, 1945 (1.3 million casualties) …
- Ichi-Go, 1944 (1.3 million casualties) …
- Stalingrad, 1942-1943 (1.25 million casualties) …
- The Somme, 1916 (1.12 million casualties) …
- Siege of Leningrad, 1941-1944 (1.12 million casualties) …
What killed the most soldiers in ww1?
The casualties suffered by the participants in World War I dwarfed those of previous wars: some 8,500,000 soldiers died as a result of wounds and/or disease. The greatest number of casualties and wounds were inflicted by artillery, followed by small arms, and then by poison gas.