Among the most important are two epics, the Mahabharata and the Ramayana; the Bhagavad Gita, a text inserted into the Mahabharata that focuses on the god Krishna; and the Dharamasastras; consisting of the manuals concerning dharma and aphorism on dharma.
What are the two types of Hindu scriptures?
Hindu scriptures are classified broadly into two categories: Shruti and Smriti. The word Shruti literally means “heard”, and consists of what Hindus believe to be eternal truths akin to natural law. Hindus believe these truths are contained in the vibrations of the universe.
What are 3 holy books of Hinduism?
The Hindu Holy Scriptures are mainly comprised of the following works written in the Sanskrit language:
- The Vedas Rg-Veda (Rigveda), Yajur-Veda, Sama-Veda, Atharva-Veda (see further down )
- The Upanisads – These consider the nature of the individual soul (Atman) and the universal soul (Brahman.)
What are the four sacred texts of Hinduism?
The revealed texts constitute the Veda, divided into four sections: the Rig Veda, the Yajur Veda, the Sama Veda, and the Atharva Veda. The Vedas are hymns that are also accompanied in the total Veda by Brahmanas (ritual texts) Aranyakas (“forest” or “wilderness” texts), and Upanishads (philosophical texts).
What are the 5 Hindu beliefs?
Here are some of the key beliefs shared among Hindus:
- Truth is eternal. …
- Brahman is Truth and Reality. …
- The Vedas are the ultimate authority. …
- Everyone should strive to achieve dharma. …
- Individual souls are immortal. …
- The goal of the individual soul is moksha.
Who are Hinduism important people?
Who are some famous people who have practiced Hinduism? Edit
- Aryabhata (famous Indian mathematican)
- Annie Besant (Famous theosophist)
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy (famous Indian social reformer)
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.
- Swami Vivekananda (well known Indian reformer , his thoughts are quite powerful)
What are some Hinduism rituals?
Major types of Hindu rituals include life-cycle rituals (saṃskāra), especially initiation, marriage, and death and ancestor rituals; worship and prayer (pūjā); sacrifices, especially Vedic fire sacrifices (yajña, iṣṭi, homa) and blood sacrifices; collective and individual festivals (utsava) and processions (yātrā, …
What is the highest level of Hinduism?
Currently, the four largest denominations of Hinduism are Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Shaktism and Smartism.