The traditional Indian form of greeting is the namaste, which literally means, “I bow to the divine in you.” The namaste is used for greeting, for taking leave, and also to seek forgiveness. To greet someone with a namaste, bring your hands together with palms touching in front of your chest in a graceful fashion.
How do Indian men greet?
Meeting and Greeting
- Westerners may shake hands, however, greeting with ‘namaste’ (na-mas-TAY) (placing both hands together with a slight bow) is appreciated and shows respect for Indian customs.
- Men shake hands with men when meeting or leaving. Men do not touch women when meeting or greeting.
How do you say greetings in India?
Namaste is a very respectful way of saying ‘hello. ‘ Pair it with a folded hand gesture and a gentle bow of your head and neck, and locals will be quite pleased with your manners. Namaskar (nah-mas-kar) and pranam (prah-naam) are also popular greetings which mean the same and can be interchangeably used with namaste.
What is a customary way to greet someone?
Beyond the Handshake: How People Greet Each Other Around the…
- Stick out your tongue. Tibet. …
- Bump noses. Qatar, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates. …
- Air kiss on the cheek. …
- Rub noses (and sometimes foreheads) …
- Shake hands. …
- Clap your hands. …
- Put your hand on your heart. …
What are some Indian customs?
12 Unique Customs and Traditions in India That You Should Know
- The Aghori sadhus of Varanasi.
- The Hola Mohalla warriors of Punjab.
- The Buddhist chanting of Ladakh.
- Chhau dance of Odisha.
- Thimithi aka the fire-walking tradition of Tamil Nadu.
- A festival to worship snakes: Nag Panchami.
Can a Hindu kiss?
The truth is that kissing — whether in private or public, light or dark, across the sexes or within them — entirely unmodified by physical environment or historical era, has no precedent or sanction in Indian life.
How do Muslims greet?
The greeting for Muslims is in Arabic – As-salamu alaikum which means Peace be upon you. Most Muslim women will not shake hands or hug men. … Muslim men will shake hands with Muslim men when greeted.
What is a Hindu greeting?
Arvind Khetia, Hindu and an engineer: “Namaste” is a Sanskrit word and the common expression of greeting in Hinduism. Namaste literally means, “I bow to you.” This expression is accompanied by the gesture of joining two palms together, placing them at the heart level and bowing one’s head while saying namaste.
What is the traditional Indian greeting?
In many parts of India and during formal occasions, it is common for people to greet with the traditional Hindu greeting of “Namaste” (‘I greet the divine within you’). This is accompanied with a nod of the head or a bow depending on the status of the person you are greeting.
What are some good greetings?
- Good morning.
- Good afternoon.
- Good evening.
- It’s nice to meet you.
- It’s a pleasure to meet you.
What are the two types of greeting?
1) Adab. 3) Bowing. 4) Cheek kissing.
How do you politely greet someone?
Let’s go over 10 different ways that we can say hello or greet someone in English.
- Hello. This is the most basic greeting in English. …
- Hi. This is a shorter version of “hello”. …
- Hey. …
- Good morning. / Good afternoon. / Good evening. …
- It’s nice to meet you. …
- It’s a pleasure to meet you. …
- It’s good to see you again. …
- What’s up?
Who is founder of India?
Jawaharlal Nehru, the founder of modern India : the architect of Indian planning for political, economic, and social structure / Mohammad Shabbir Khan.