Delhi is one of the fastest growing cities in the world, reaching over 18 million this year from just 400,000 in 1901. In 2001 alone, its population increased by 215,000 due to natural growth and 285,000 through migration. By 2020, Delhi is expected to be the third largest conurbation after Tokyo and Mumbai.
Why is Delhi growing so fast?
Rapid urbanization, in conjunction with the intensified challenges of environmental degradation, has placed pressure on infrastructure, housing availability and the spread of slums. Another major impact of rapid population increase is a change in the way that land is used.
What are the causes of Urbanisation in Delhi?
The main causes of urbanisation in India are:
- Expansion in government services, as a result of the Second World War.
- Migration of people during the partition of India.
- The Industrial Revolution.
- Eleventh five-year plan that aimed at urbanisation for the economic development of India.
Why is Delhi so populated?
Migration is considered one of the main causes of Delhi’s rising population. In 2001, 60% of the people added to the city came from a natural growth of population. The remaining 40% were migrants. … According MPD projections, the share of migrants to the additional population will be 50% in 2021.
Is Delhi richer than Mumbai?
Mumbai is the 12th richest city in the world with a total wealth of $960 billion, according to a report by New World Health. … Delhi is on 22nd position and second Indian city after Mumbai on the wealth intelligence firm’s ‘The Wealthiest Cities Worldwide in 2019’ list.
Is Mumbai better than Delhi?
Delhi is far better than Mumbai where the standard of living is concerned. Though it has been in the news recently for high levels of pollution and the problem of smog, the infrastructure in Delhi is better, the roads are wider and cleaner, there is more breathing space with a lesser crowd as in comparison to Mumbai.
Why Delhi is most polluted city in India?
“Delhi’s most polluted months correlate with the agricultural burning season, which spans October through December. During these months, the average pollution exposure often exceeds the WHO (World Health Organization) annual target 10 ug/m3) by more than 14 times,” the report said.
Are there slums in Delhi?
Delhi is India’s second largest metropolis, with a population of around 18 million (High Powered Expert Committee 2011). Like most cities in low- income countries, a significant portion of Delhi’s population are recent migrants and some 20 percent were slum-dwellers in 2001 according to the Census definition.
Is Delhi is a mega city?
By 2025, Asia alone will have at least 30 megacities, including Mumbai, India (2015 population of 20.75 million people), Shanghai, China (2015 population of 35.5 million people), Delhi, India (2015 population of 21.8 million people), Tokyo, Japan (2015 population of 38.8 million people) and Seoul, South Korea (2015 …
Which is mega city in India?
As per a mega cities trends and analysis report from Jeevan Raksha, a public-private partnership initiative by Proxima, a management consulting firm, with technical support and guidance of the PHFI, 8.45 million people or 6 per cent of India’s population live in six mega cities – Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi.